• Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Weekend

Friday we went to Open Gym at Gymboree. I had a bit of a strange situation. A mother of three arrived with her two older daughters (probably 6 and 8 would be my guess) and her boy probably age 3/4. I was chatting with another mother and watching Brayden from a short distance. I had this feeling in my gut and saw what I feared the next second. The middle child had climbed onto what were set up as monkey bars and Brayden was standing on the ground next to her. She swung her feet and kicked him in the stomach knocking him back and he hit his head on a wood bar. I ran over to him and held him till he stopped screaming. I waited a few minutes to see the red appear and let me know how bad things were. It didn't look too bad. The mother came over but she hadn't seen what went on. I figured it was an accident but wasn't thrilled. This is a play area for young children under 5 and they should be able to be safe. Well things didn't get better. One of the girls then tried picking up Brayden. Then he was sitting on a half circle toy playing when one of the girls dove on, hitting him. Our neighbor with his daughter was playing with Brayden in the tunnel. The girl then climbed in over Brayden and sat in the tunnel. She came out but then the little boy began slapping Brayden. I was about ready to say something when I heard the mother state that they were going to leave and the kids were not to argue. I understand kids being kids but this was a bit much.

Saturday
Again Brayden did not want to participate in the activities but wanted to run around. I tried not to be frustrated but I was. It was a day that I unfortunately let my frustrations get the best of me. We were having the neighbors over for dinner and my house wasn't clean. I had run errands after Gymboree which hadn't left me alot of time. Then Brayden's car/train table arrived when he was napping. I wanted to get it together so he could begin playing with it. Problem one, the drill didn't have a bit in it. I couldn't figure out how to get one in. I was frustrated and left it alone. David came home later then expected but said he had a great day. We were missing still some ingredients for tonight so David left with Brayden to get them while I mopped the floor. I like to have the meal pretty prepped and the dishes clean.David came back and began making spinach dip when we remembered we didn't have chips. I ran to Safeway and grabbed a bag ten minutes before they were to come over. I was frantically scrabbling to get the salad made, brownies made, and dishes done. I realized as I was putting the brownies in that we were also going to be using the oven to bake the pizza which meant that I just pushed dinner back 50 minutes which furthered my irriation. They arrived and we worked through it but I knew that I would have enjoyed things more if I wasn't trying to get things around in the kitchen and could socialize. We had a fun time making home made pizzas. Apparently Stephanie and Chris don't cook so they eat out alot. They were asking alot of tips for cooking.We hung out for a bit which was nice. David and I agreed that we are going to have to have neighbors over for dinner more. I will just need to relax a bit:)

Sunday
We went to the early service and actually heard a repeat of a sermon we had heard before on Judaism. David and I both agreed that we picked up some different things this time around. We find that we are happy that Brayden now wants to go to nursery and can't wait to be checked in so he can play with the kids. As ususal, the kids helping in the nursery normally flock to him. This wasn't any different when we picked him up, he was playing with the older kids and didn't notice when we came to pick him up. David and I then went out to eat using a gift card to Fridays. The restaurant wasn't busy but it took about an hour to get food and eat. Brayden was pretty done after that. He fell asleep in the car. We were waiting to hear what was going on with our niece's birthday today. I hadn't heard anything but it was mentioned several weeks ago that she would have a friend party and then a family party after that. Eventually I had David call, as it is his family, and find out what was going on. Apparently she had the friend party and then wanted to go out to eat at Red Lobster. So we weren't invited. I wonder what ettiquette says about that. So we didn't make plans which meant I was a bit bored. We went to the pool near the house but was only in a couple of minutes before deciding it was too cold. We headed to the other pool when we realized that Brayden was digging in his car seat for food, that he was hungry. We headed home and fed him before heading back to the other pools. We swam for a little bit before heading home. I figure that we are probably done swimming for the year as it is just too cold.

No comments: