• Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Playdates, appointments, and no Happy Meal

Today we had the Yoakums over for a playdate. I thought it might be good to have Brayden play with some older boys for a change. I wanted the chance to catch up with my neighbor. So we headed upstairs and we moms sat at the door (to coral the kids in of course), and let them have at it. I had to laugh when her twins came to me and let me know that I had "great" toys. I don't think that there wasn't anything left unexplored. They had each brought a toy with them. Brayden was absolutely fascinated with the helicopter that was brought. In fact it would later come to a tug of war with Brayden going back and hitting his head against the wall (he is fine). The Yoakums were over for two hours and( I probably could have kept talking but as it was time for lunch)Brayden probably had that helicopter for about that length of time. Come to find out it is a Happy Meal toy. Brayden went down for a nap. I spent some time fighting with the project organizer (in the end I finally won but not without some scratches). We then had Early Intervention come out to discuss Brayden's health/developmental status. Who would have thought of all the people involved and all the time spent ? Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it. I then have to remind myself that I am Brayden's best advocate and if I don't then who will... I was going to rush off after the appointment and see if David wanted to meet for dinner at McDonald's (so I could get the happy meal with the helicopter, of course), but David was opposed to subjecting Brayden to fast food. So we didn't end up going to eat and we didn't get the happy meal. I think by the end of our conversation I could have used the Happy meal. I (and I want to stress I) made dinner tonight. We ate, bathed Brayden, and then headed to Bible Study. It was a nice intimate group tonight and I felt we had some good discussion come from it.
Highlights- Brayden (who likes to play on the steps I might add) gave me wide mouth kisses and hugs tonight. It was too precious.
Brayden was Picasso in the bathtime tonight. He really enjoyed bathtime and I hated to pull him out... but we needed to get him dropped off for childcare. He was blowing bubbles and splashing. He was also really getting into to drawing on the bathtub. I just hope that I can eventually get the faint purple crayon stains out.

No comments: