• Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Progress

David and I have made progress with Brayden in two areas that are of our own making.
First, we started the bad habit of laying down with Brayden in his big boy bed until he fell asleep. Being as it wasn't healthy for any of us and with a new baby on the way, I decided that it was time to stop laying with him cold turkey. I was also reading a book on potty training that had a chapter on becoming toddlerwise that mentioned some sleep disorders were associated with bad sleeping habits. We check on him a couple of times or talk quietly in our room so he knows we are there. Thankfully once he has had 3 books and a reading from his Bible, he knows he is to go to sleep. It may take him a while and sometimes he does play with a toy in his bed. The goal is that he stay in his room and is not upset.
Last, we have not made Brayden eat with us at the table. The last three nights Brayden has come to the table and sat with us. I can't say that he has eaten what was being served, but it is progress all the same. I appreciate the good habit of eating together as a family which wasn't as easy when I was working.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Guilty of the same bed time habit :) Vincent has the same trike!

Wendy said...

Bedtimes are a struggle here too. Keep up the good work and enjoy dinners together :)